Recipe type: Dessert
- 280g Granulated Sugar
- 130ml Double Cream
- 200g Salted Butter (diced and chilled)
- Put one third of the granulated sugar into a saucepan and place on a medium heat, when it dissolves add the next third of sugar. Once that has melted, the final batch of sugar can be added.
- Heat the sugar until it turns a golden colour.
- Turn the heat down to low and add the cream in small batches. Take care as the mixture will bubble up, so you will need to stir quite quickly.
- When all of the cream has been added, take the pan off the heat and stir in the butter, this stops the caramel from cooking any further.
- Finally use an immersion or stick blender to mix the caramel until the butter and caramel are combined.
- Pour into a bowl, cover with cling-film and put it in the fridge to chill.
- This caramel can be used for lots of things, a filling for Macarons, to add to the base of a banoffee pie, used as a filling in chocolate truffles or even just spread on toast or eaten with a spoon.
- The caramel will keep in the fridge for up to two weeks.