Orange and Salted Peanut Florentines
Recipe type: Biscuit
- Zest of half a lemon
- Zest of half an orange
- 60g clear runny honey
- 60g unsalted butter
- 60g sugar
- 60g flaked almonds
- 40g candied peel/dried fruit/glace cherries
- 40g coarsely chopped salted nuts (peanuts/cashews/pistachios)
- Pinch of fleur de sel
- 50g dark chocolate (70% cocoa)
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Combine the zest, nuts and peel in a bowl and put to one side.
- In a heavy bottomed pan combine the honey, butter and sugar and heat until the butter has melted and the sugar is dissolved.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the caramel and mix thoroughly.
- Spread the mixture out onto the lined sheet and spread it as thinly as you can. Try not to leave any gaps. The mixture will not fill the pan, but it expands whilst cooking.
- Place in the oven and cook for 15 mins or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the pinch of salt.
- Allow it to cool a little until it is cool enough to touch, but still a little soft. Place on a heatproof surface and using a sharp knife cut the mixture into squares. They can be any size you like, this mixture made 20 Florentines for me.
- Allow to cool and in the meantime melt the dark chocolate.
- Drizzle the Florentines with the melted chocolate and leave to cool completely.