Recipe type: Confectionery
This is my recipe for delicious honeycomb, cinder toffee or hokey pokey.
- 100g Caster Sugar
- 3 tbsp Golden Syrup
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- Grease and line a 20cm square tin with baking parchment. You will pour the honeycomb into this, so place it on a trivet or heatproof surface.
- Mix the sugar and golden syrup in a large heavy bottomed pan. Make sure there is enough room for the sugar to bubble up, don't be tempted to use a small pan.
- Continue stirring the sugar over a low heat and heat it until it reaches 145˚C.
- Add the bicarbonate of soda and remove the pan from the heat. Working quickly, stir the mixture really well. You don't want any lumps of bicarbonate of soda as it will make your honeycomb taste salty. Pour the mix into the lined tin and leave to cool.
- When the honeycomb has set, using a heavy knife you can cut it into pieces and eat as it is, or coat it in chocolate to make your very own Crunchie bars.