Cranberry and Salted Cashew Nut Florentines
Recipe type: Biscuit
- Zest of half a lemon
- Zest of half an orange
- 60g clear runny honey
- 60g unsalted butter
- 60g sugar
- 60g flaked almonds
- 30g dried cranberries
- 20g candied/mixed peel
- 40g coarsely chopped salted cashew nuts
- Pinch of Fleur de sel
- 100g dark chocolate (70% cocoa)
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Combine the zest, cranberries, nuts and peel in a bowl and put to one side.
- In a heavy bottomed pan combine the honey, butter and sugar and heat until the butter has melted and the sugar is dissolved.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the caramel and mix thoroughly.
- Spread the mixture out onto the lined sheet and spread it as thinly as you can. Try not to leave any gaps. The mixture will not fill the pan, but it expands whilst cooking.
- Place in the oven and cook for 15 mins or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the pinch of Fleur de sel.
- Allow it to cool enough to touch, ensuring it is still a little soft. Place on a heatproof surface and using a cookie cutter (I used 2¼ inch cutter), cut out rounds.
- Transfer them to a cooling rack and allow them to harden.
- Melt the dark chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water.
- Spoon dark chocolate onto the reverse of the cooled Florentine and leave to set.