Coffee Chocolate Creme Patissiere Recipe
Author: La Patisserie des Reves
Recipe type: Sauce
This recipe has been reproduced with the permission of La Patisserie des Reves and their UK publishers http://www.grubstreet.co.uk
- 400ml Semi-skimmed milk
- 25g Ground coffee
- 50g Egg yolks
- 60g Brown sugar
- 15g Corn flour
- 10g Flour
- 50g Chocolate (anything 50% cocoa and above)
- 30g Unsalted butter
- 2 Pinches of fleur de sel
- In a saucepan, bring the milk to the boil then add the ground coffee and infuse for 5 minutes, but no more than that.
- Strain through a very fine chinois or a jelly bag to obtain the milk without the coffee grounds.
- Whisk the egg yolks and brown sugar until slightly pale then add the cornflour and flour.
- Break up the chocolate and stir the pieces into the infused milk, then heat this mixture again on the hob, whisking to help melt the chocolate.
- Off the heat pour the chocolate and coffee milk in two or three batches into the egg mixture, whisking constantly.
- Transfer the mixture to a saucepan and bring it back to the boil over a medium heat, whisking it constantly.
- Cook the cream for about 1 minute, whisking all the time to prevent it sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- When the cream has thickened whisk in the cold butter then the fleur de sel.
- Pour the hot cream into a mixing bowl and cover with cling film to prevent a crust forming.
- Refrigerate the cream and just before you use it, give it a whisk for 30 seconds to remove any lumps.