CHOCOLATE SWISS MERINGUE BUTTERCREAM ICING
Author: Dan Lepard
Recipe type: Icing
Serves: 12 cupcakes
This is a swiss meringue buttercream, made by heating the egg whites and sugar in a bain marie. This produces a rich and fluffy chocolate buttercream.
- 4 Egg Whites (125g)
- 225g Sugar
- 175g Unsalted Butter (Room Temperature)
- 150g Melted Chocolate (Dark at least 50%)
- Place the egg whites and sugar in the stainless steel bowl of your food mixer and stir over a pan of water (making sure the base of the bowl does not touch the water) at a moderate heat until the mixture is hot and the sugar dissolved (around 65C). The sugar and heat kill off any bacteria and effectively sterilise the mixture.
- Then attach it to your food mixer and whisk for about 5 minutes until very thick, holding its shape and cooled.
- Melt the chocolate (either in the microwave or over a pan of water) and allow it to cool a little. Add this to the meringue and beat it in, until fully mixed.
- Beat the butter into the meringue in small cubes. Stop whisking when the butter is thoroughly mixed through and the mixture has thickened.
- If it starts to look coarse and rough, then warm it slightly in the microwave and beat it again until creamy.
- If the cream is too runny, chill it for a few minutes and then beat it again to thicken.